Club app icon

Pitchero Club

The official Trafford MV RFCC app

View

History

Trafford MV RFCC is a thriving independent community amateur club, based in Sale, Cheshire and conveniently accessed from all areas of Manchester. Currently there are 3 senior sides and mini and junior sides at all age groups. This, combined with a friendly, welcoming environment makes the club an excellent place to train, play and socialise.

Prior to becoming fully independent, the club was originally formed on May 2nd 1923 by a group of 17 apprentices at an engineering company called Metropolitan Vickers (later becoming AEI Ltd. and eventually becoming GEC Ltd.), to provide a sports facility and the opportunity to play rugby against other companies around the region under the name of Metrovick RFC.

Within four years of forming, the club was fielding four rugby XV's. Originally wearing an all black strip, in the 1927/28 season, the club changed its colours to the black and white hoops and white shorts which the club have stuck with ever since. During these early years, the club were based in Chorlton cum Hardy, paying an annual rent of £7.50 for the hire of the ground. This £7.50 became a constant drain on the clubs resources and the club started to actively seek its own playing arena. One of the potential sites identified, although not much of a playing area initially, proved too much to resist. The idyllic surrounding on the grassy banks of the River Mersey and great potential swayed the club to choose land off Glebelands Road in Sale, Greater Manchester. And so, in 1934, with the help of loans from the company, for the princely sum of £650, the club purchased land and move lock, stock and corner flags to its new playing arena. The club has been ever since.

During the War Years and the cancellation of all pre-arranged fixtures, Metrovick found itself to be a Mecca for Servicemen on leave, along with the many people engaged in engineering work in Trafford Park, and its playing numbers were increasing week on week.

In 1945 club chairman R.D.B. Lauder retired after 22 years in which he had overseen the club's development, which was now going from strength to strength. A great debt is owed to the club's first chairman for the hard work that he put in which laid the solid foundations that today's club is built on.

Where next?

History 2 25 years after the rugby section came into existence, by very popular demand, a cricket section was

Affiliations

Club sponsors